Today our Apples2Apples Chef de Cuisine, Will Gibson, will be showing how to make the Minnesotan classic, the Juicy Lucy! His recipe and an Instacart link at the bottom of the page, so you can order everything needed to make a Juicy Lucy in just a few steps.
The Juicy Lucy has a controversial history. Some say it was invented at Matt’s Bar, some say the 5-8 Club. Either way, the Juicy Lucy is the perfect burger for anyone looking to break away from the norm. If you’re looking for the cheesiest, most savory burger around, the Juicy Lucy might be a perfect fit! No matter who made it, it’s still a great burger that you can put your own unique and creative twist on it.
Juicy Lucy Patties:
2lbs 80/20 ground beef (divided into 8 4oz portions)
1 Tbsp Salt
1 ½ tsp Black pepper
1 ½ tsp Granulated Garlic
¼ c Worcestershire Sauce
4 slices of kraft singles
½ cup Mayo
¼ cup Ketchup
2 Tbsp Sweet Relish
1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard (whole grain)
1 Tbsp White Vinegar
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 pack of your favorite burger buns
Your preferred burger toppings
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the mayo, ketchup, sweet relish, mustard, vinegar and S&P to make the sauce. Taste the sauce to make sure the salt and pepper levels are right.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, salt, pepper, garlic and Worcestershire and thoroughly mix.
4. Weigh out the ground beef mix into 8 individual 4 oz portions. If you do not have a food scale, eyeballing the amounts will work as well. A scale ensures even cooking for all the juicy lucys.
5. On a large cutting board or a sanitized counter, press the 8 beef balls into about ¼ in thick patties.
6. Rip/cut a kraft single into four pieces and place it in the center of a burger patty. Repeat the process four times.
7. Use the four remaining burger patties to sandwich the cheese between them.
8. Go around each juicy lucy and fold the edges of the bottom patties over the top patties. Try to make the seal as tight as possible by pinching any remaining holes shut.
9. After making sure the cheese is completely sealed in between the burger patties, put a sauté pan on the stove and turn the burner on to medium high heat.
10. Once the pan has heated up for about 5 minutes, add a splash of cooking oil to the pan and sear the juicy lucys on each side for about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
11. After searing both sides, put the juicy lucys in the oven for about 7 minutes to cook them all the way through.
12. While the burgers are in the oven, toast of the burger buns.
13. Wait at least a couple minutes to eat, it the cheese in the middle will be extremely hot!