This Saturday marks the start of a festive time period commonly known as Oktoberfest. The 2019 Oktoberfest period will officially take place from September 21 to October 6, 2019. This German-themed festival that got its origin in Bavaria back in 1810 came to be as a celebration of the marriage of Crown Prince Ludwig to Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen. For five days after this infamous wedding of its time, a large festival was held to commemorate the special day.
Today’s Oktoberfests are more often held in September to take advantage of the warmer weather. Now, Oktoberfest celebrations all over the world include lederhosen, dirndls, parades, and traditional German celebratory foods. And of course, across the world over, Oktoberfest goers are enjoying beer that seems to never stop flowing, and food, such delicious food.
Traditional foods for your Oktoberfest celebration
If you are looking to put on an Oktoberfest celebration this year, make sure you know that must-haves for your menu.
- Roast chicken
- Schweinebraten (roast pork)
- Schweinshaxe (roasted ham hock)
- Würstl (sausages)
- Brezen (pretzels)
- Knödel (potato or flour dumplings)
- Käsespätzle (cheese noodles)
- Reiberdatschi (potato pancakes)
- Obatzda (spiced cheese-butter spread)
- Radi und Radieschen (radishes)
But if all of this seems too complicated, why not create a customized Minnesota-made Oktoberfest menu of your own, complete with a whole roast pig, bratwurst, German potato salad, sauerkraut and sausages, French style green beans, warm apple crisp, apple cider, and of course, beer! Minnesotans are now creating their own personalized Oktoberfest experiences complete with plenty of craft beer and home-cooked German food. And, many event organizers are turning to caterers that can help bring the event to life with amazing, professionally cooked and displayed foods.
At A’BriTin Catering & Hospitality, we have helped bring Oktoberfest to life for many of our clients. By taking the food preparation off your plate, you can celebrate on getting the guests there, and having fun! We do all the hard work so that you don’t have to.
Key phrases to know for your next Oktoberfest
If you are heading to an Oktoberfest celebration this weekend and you are ready to don your lederhosen (for the gents) or dirndls (for the ladies), make sure that you also spend a bit of time practicing some popular Oktoberfest phrases. And if you really want to dress the part, be sure to add two traditional accessories to add to your attire. Loferls are a fancy leg warmer that you wear over your calves, and these accompany ankle-socks called Füßlinge. With the right accessories, these six German terms, and great Bavarian food, you will turn into the perfect Bavarian.
- Wiesn = Oktoberfest
- Oans, zwoa, g’suffa = One, two, drink!
- A Maß = a litre of beer
- Ogschdocha = drunk
- Wo is’ns Haisl? = where’s the bathroom?
- Brezl/Brezn = pretzel
This Little Piggy Catering is ready to help you bring Oktoberfest to life!
This Little Piggy Catering is a part of A’BriTin Catering & Hospitality, the premiere catering provider for Minnesota businesses and residents looking to celebrate their most important occasions. Our mission is to listen to our clients and treat them like family to provide a meaningful, trusting, and lasting relationship. We have the right brand for any catering need and bring experience in all types and sizes of events. Whether it be buffet style, a formal sit-down dinner, a series of stimulating and tantalizing food stations, or an Oktoberfest extravaganza, you and your guests will be amazed by the core values, colorful food arrangement and display, and professionalism of A’BriTin Catering & Hospitality from beginning to end. Our ultimate goal is to complement your important day with a meal and service that will be remembered for a lifetime, and our creative artistic displays are a key part of that experience.
- Apples 2 Apples Catering offers an ethical farm to table catering concept using healthy ingredients fresh from local farms across Minnesota and Wisconsin. Follow Apples 2 Apples on Instagram and Facebook.
- This Little Piggy Catering is a premiere outdoor catering solution that has been creating lasting memories since 1979. Our specialty is creating fantastic pig roasts, including delicious and colorful Hawaiian Luaus and traditional German-style pigs with all the fixings. Follow This Little Piggy on Instagram and Facebook!
- At Distinctive Catering & Events, we align impeccable service with incredible food for all of your important events. Throughout the planning process, our Food & Beverage Coordinators are here to guide you with their kindness and trusted experience. Our chefs have the capability of customizing your appetizers, food stations, meals, desserts, and late-night snacks, making them truly distinctive to your occasion. Follow Distinctive Catering on Instagram and Facebook.
- Hitch & Sip is a fully licensed and insured liquor catering business. Our services are completely mobile, and we provide all the equipment needed to create your bar experience. Follow the Hitch & Sip on Instagram and Facebook.
To learn more about our various brands and our unique and professional approach to weddings and other special events in Minnesota, please contact us at 612-339-0222 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also request a quote. We can’t wait to hear from you and help you create an event to remember.